I really enjoyed painting this. The hardest part for me was getting the color of the violin. I tried many different ways to get brown using raw umber, burnt umber, burnt sienna and raw sienna and I tried adding other colors to those colors, but nothing looked right. I wanted the color that my violin is, not just some brown. I ended up using orange and blue! and the darker parts are orange and purple. for those of you new to mixing colors, when you use two colors that are oppostie each other on the color wheel you get brown or black, so it makes sense that I could get a brown color this way. I love the way it turned out. I've had many very nice compliments from people on flickr. You can read them here if you are interested.
I thought you might like to see how the painting looked in progress.